Papers and Publications
- Gallagher, M. (2019 forthcoming). Artificial intelligence and the mobilities of inclusion: the accumulated advantages of 5G networks, machine learning, and surfacing outliers. In (J. Knox ed.) Inclusive Education, ICT, and Artificial Intelligence, Springer.
- Gallagher, M. (2019 forthcoming). Moving beyond microwork: The Role of critical capacity and digital education in the unbundling of labour. In Peters, M. A.; Jandrić, P.; & Means, A. J. (Eds.). Education and Technological Unemployment, Springer.
- Gallagher, M. (2018 forthcoming). AI, Chatbots, and Disconnects with Neo-Confucianism in South Korea. Mobile Lenses on Learning, Springer.
- Churchill, D.; Pegrum, M.; Churchill, N.; Gallagher, M. et al (2018). The Implementation of Mobile Learning in Asia: Key Trends in Practices and Research. In J. Voogt et al. (eds.), Second Handbook of Information Technology in Primary and Secondary Education, Springer International Handbooks of Education.
- Gallagher, M. (2018). Amira’s complexity and cosmopolitanism: the role of disposition in mobilities and mobile learning. Networked Learning Conference, 2018, Zagreb.
- Gallagher, M. (2018). KakaoTalk meets the Ministry of Education: Mobile Learning in South Korean Higher Education. In J. Traxler & H. Crompton (Eds.) Mobile Learning and Higher Education: Case Studies in Practice. London: Routledge.
- Gallagher, M. & Larsen, C. (2018 Forthcoming). Seonbae, hubae and the flattening of hierarchies: the need for Confucian cultural fidelity in digital education.
- Gallagher, M.; Knox, J. & Lamb, J. (2018 forthcoming). On an excursion through EC1: multimodality, ethnography and urban walking. Qualitative Research.
- Keskin, N.; Koutropoulos, A.; Metcalf, D., de Waard, I., Gallagher, M.; Y. Anzai, & Büyük, K. (2017). National Strategies for OER and MOOC from 2010 to 2020: USA, UK, Canada, China, South Korea, Turkey. In K. Buyuk, S. Kocdar & A. Bozkurt (Eds.) Handbook of Research on Administrative Leadership in Open and Distance Learning Programs. Hershey: IGI Global.
- Gallagher, M. S. (2017). Mobile learning in an age of surveillance: the urban subversive as pedagogical position. Continuum, 31(2): 177-188.
- Gallagher, M. (2017). Open Learning as Lifelong Learning: Conduit for education in South Korea. Association of Learning Technology (ALT-C) Blog.
- Gallagher, M.; Lamb, J. & Bayne, S. (2017). The sound spaces of online, distance learners. In L. Carvalho, P. Goodyear & M. de Laat (Eds.) Place-based Spaces for Networked Learning. Sydney: Routledge.
- Gallagher, M. & Ihanainen, P. (2016). Towards an Auditory Pedagogy. SeOppi, The Association of the Finnish eLearning Centre.
- Gallagher, M. (2016). Charting Trajectories on the Peripheries of Community Practice: Mobile Learning for the Humanities in South Korea. Doctoral thesis , UCL (University College London).
- Gallagher, M. & Lamb, J. (2016). Open Digital Practices. In M.A. Peters (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory. Singapore: Springer. DOI 10.1007/978-981-287-532-7_220-1.
- Gallagher, M. & Ihanainen, P. (2016). Field Activity and the Pedagogy of Simultaneity to Support Mobile Learning in the Open. In Research, Boundaries and Policy in Networked Learning. S. Bayne, M. de Laat, T. Ryberg, & C. Sinclair (Eds.). New York: Springer.
- Gallagher, M. (2016). Remix: No.1 Adriana de Souza e Silva & Jordan Frith (2010). From (original work): De Souza e Silva, A., & Frith, J. (2013). Re-narrating the city through the presentation of location. The Mobile Story: Narrative Practices with Locative Technologies, London, NY: Routledge.
- Gallagher, M. (2015). Artfully Converting Open (Urban) Space to Learning Space: Mobile Learning and Korean Literature. Media Education: Studi, Ricerche, Buone Pratiche, 6(2): pp 294-307.
- Gallagher, M. & Ihanainen, P. (2015). Aesthetic literacy: observable phenomena and pedagogical applications for (mobile) lifelong learning. European Journal of Open, Distance, and E-Learning, 2014(1).
- Ihanainen, P. & Gallagher, M. (2015). Learning in the Open. Futura, Finnish Society for Future Studies, 2015 (1).
- Cho, A.; Cho, D.; Gallagher, M.; Jung, S. & Seo, M. (2015). Adapting Guidère, M. (2003): The need for a more robust localization and translation strategy in advertising and suggestions for translation studies. Hankuk University of Foreign Studies International Journal of Foreign Studies.
- Lee, S.; Lim, H.; Noh, S.; Park, D.; Song, M. & Gallagher, M. (2015). High Hallim and Passing Dreams: A Critical Analysis of James Gale’s 1922 translation of Kim Man-chung’s (1687) The Cloud Dream of the Nine.
- Ihanainen, P. & Gallagher, M. (2014). From open to learning space-steps to open pedagogy. SeOppi, The Association of the Finnish eLearning Centre, 3 (2014).
- Gallagher, M. & Ihanainen, P. (2014). Mobile Learning Field Activity: Pedagogy of Simultaneity to Support Learning in the Open. Networked Learning Conference 2014, Edinburgh.
- de Waard, I.; Gallagher, M.; Zelezny-Green, R.; Czerniewicz; Downes, S.; Kukulska-Hulme, A. & Willems, J. (2014). Challenges for conceptualising EU MOOC for vulnerable learner groups. EMOOCs 2014: European MOOCs Stakeholders Summit, Lausanne (Switzerland).
- Gallagher, M. (2013). Incessant Motion through Space: Mobile Learning Field Activities in the Humanities.
- Bayne, S.; Gallagher, M.S. & Lamb, J. (2014). Being ‘at’ university: the social topologies of distance students. Higher Education,67(5), 569-583. Retrieved from http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10734-013-9662-4.
- Ross, J.; Gallagher, M.; Macleod, H. (2013). Making distance visible: assembling nearness in an online distance learning programme. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Education (IRRODL), 14(4).
- Gallagher, M. & Ihanainen, P. (2013). Pedagogy supporting the simultaneous learning processes of open education: Pedagogy of Simultaneity (PoS). Open Education 2030: Higher Education, European Commission, Joint Research Centre: Information Society Unit.
- Keskin, N; Gallagher, M.; Sarsar, F. (2013). E-Book Readers for Everyone: Fatih Project. Mobile Pedagogy and Perspectives on Teaching and Learning. IGI Global.
- de Waard, I., Koutropoulos, A., Hogue, R. J., Abajian, S. C., Keskin, N. Ö., Rodriguez, C. O., & Gallagher, M. S. (2012). Merging MOOC and mLearning for Increased Learner Interactions. International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning (IJMBL), 4(4), 34-46.
- Gallagher, M.S.; de Waard, I., Koutropoulos, A., Hogue, R. J., Abajian, S. C., Keskin, N. Ö., & Rodriguez, C. O. (2012). Emotive Vocabulary in MOOCs: Context and Participant Retention. European Journal of Open, Distance, and E-Learning, 11(2).
- de Waard, I., Gallagher, M.S.; Koutropoulos, A., Hogue, R. J., Abajian, S. C., Keskin, N. Ö., & Rodriguez, C. O. (2011). Using mLearning and MOOCs to understand chaos, emergence, and complexity in education. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Education, November, 2011.
- de Waard, I., Koutropoulos, A., Hogue, R. J., Abajian, S. C., Keskin, N. Ö., Rodriguez, C. O., & Gallagher, M. S. (2011) Exploring the MOOC format as a pedagogical approach for mLearning. mLearn 2011 Conference Proceedings, October 2011.
- Gallagher, M. (2011). JSTOR Plant Science and the Global Plants Initiative (GPI). WISE Award 2010 Finalist. Doha, Qatar.
- Gallagher, M. (2010). JSTOR Plant Science. Tools for Identifying Biodiversity: Progress and Problems, L’archivio istituzionale d’Ateneo.
- Gallagher, M. (2010). The Flaneur Was Here: Mobile Augmented Reality and Urban Cultural Heritage Learning in Lower Manhattan. Paper written as part of the MSc in Digital Education at the University of Edinburgh.
- Gallagher, M. (2009). Commodification of Education. Paper written as part of the MSc in Digital Education at the University of Edinburgh.
- Guest Editor, Learning, Media & Technology. Special Issue on Global technologies, Local Practices: redefining digital education with local, marginalised voices.
- Guest Editor, EURODL. Localised Communities of Practice: towards an understanding of technology in-use, by surfacing specific groups, communities and practitioners that have come together around particular technologies, software and online spaces.
- Postdigital Science and Education. Springer
- Current Issues in Emerging eLearning (CIEE): Volume 2, Issue 1 (2015) MOOC Theoretical Perspectives and Pedagogical Applications.
- International Journal of Foreign Studies, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul, Korea.
- Fogdog Review (editor). Wright State University. 1 (1).
Remixing De Souza e Silva, A., & Frith, J. (2013). Re-narrating the city through the presentation of location. from Michael Gallagher on Vimeo.