My university, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS), is participating in the Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP), which offers full scholarships including living expenses, airfare, for graduate students to take a one year Korean language course followed by 2-3 year graduate course in an applicable major. Applications for KGSP through Hankuk University of Foreign Studies and other Korean universities are now available. It really is a great opportunity for a student with an interest in Korea and Northeast Asia to experience it firsthand, obtain Korean language skills, and get a Masters or PhD all in one go.
The applicable majors they are referring to are fairly broad, but need to slot into one of these three categories (which shouldn’t be too hard). Certain Korean universities will host certain majors, with many of the Language/International Studies/Korean Studies/Regional Studies ones coming to my university.
- Humanities and Social Sciences (인문사회계열)
- Natural Sciences and Technology (자연공학계열)
- Arts and Physical Education (예체능계열)
- National Institute for International Education (http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr
- Scholarship Period: One year Korean Language (September 2014 – August 2015) followed by two to three year Master/Ph.D Program (September 2015 ~ )
- Benefits: Full-tuition, Living allowance, Airfare, and more
- Application Deadline: March 21st, 2014
- For questions regarding the program please contact Heesung Park (Main Coordinator for KGSP) at firstname.lastname@example.org / 02-2173-2387
- Or, if you are interested, please feel free to contact me as well at @mseangallagher (Twitter) or here in the comments section. Happy to walk anyone interested through the application procedure.
Documents and Applications
Embedding a few documents here which give more background on the program. There is a bit of documentation, but nothing that should prove too difficult for anyone who has applied to university before (letter of introduction, study plan, etc.).
Background Information (including which countries can participate)
Documentation Required/Application Form
Applicable Majors (specifically for Hankuk University of Foreign Studies; other universities will host other majors)